Crowns restore and enhance both your smile and your chewing function. They represent a wonderful way of improving the strength, durability and function of your existing teeth.
A crown is a cover or “cap” which is put on a tooth. It sits completely over your tooth (or implant) right down to the gum line. It acts like a helmet against the forces of chewing, protecting the tooth underneath and improving its appearance. The crown restores the tooth to its normal shape, colour, size and function. The purpose of a crown is to make the tooth stronger or improve the way it looks.
About a third of the Western population have at least one dental crown and as we age the likelihood increases.
Teeth that are heavily filled are more likely to break or fail and need larger filings. This cycle of filling teeth continues until a crown becomes a better treatment option thus protecting what tooth you have remaining.
You may need a crown if you:
– Have a cavity that is too large for a filling
– Have a missing tooth and need a bridge
– Need to cover a dental implant
– Have a tooth that is cracked, worn down or otherwise weakened
– Have had root canal treatment – the crown will protect the restored tooth
– Want to cover a discoloured or badly shaped tooth and improve your smile.
Our team at Cathedral Dental possess a great deal of experience in planning and preparing dental crowns of the highest quality. Each crown is individually crafted by our highly skilled team of dental technicians to create durability and an appearance that is both natural looking and healthy.
All our crowns are made in Perth personally by Holger Denahu who is a master German technician with over 30 years experience. Our Procera Zirconia Crowns are manufactured in Sweden after the impressions are scanned here and sent to Sweden electronically where the crowns are milled and sent back to Holger for final colour preparation. Holger makes all other crowns with materials that meet the Australian Standards. All our crowns and bridges carry a 5-year manufactures warranty. To find the crown which best suits your problem and budget, talk to our dentists who will recommend the best option as each individual presents with different requirements and needs.
PROCERA ZIRCONIA CROWNS
Procera crowns are ceramic and totally metal free. Procera crowns are made of a biocompatible substance, which prevents the risk of an allergic reaction. The strength of the zirconium oxide allows the Procera crowns to be used with any crown or bridge cement. Zirconia has a flexural strength and fracture toughness twice as high as that of alumina, which makes zirconia very resistant to masticatory (chewing) forces, while maintaining an exact precision to fit.
- Combines zirconia (extreme flexural strength), with a beautiful aesthetic result
- New unique colouring technique for optimal homogeneity (no colour variations)
- Excellent bond strength between framework and veneering material
- No greying from metal oxides, no metal margins to hide
- Computer aided design
HOW LONG DO DENTAL CROWNS LAST?
On average a dental crown can be expected to last 10-20 years. There are many factors that will influence the longevity of your crown:
– The tooth. The quality of the core, amount of tooth remaining and the state of the nerve
– The dentist. Their experience, the quality of preparation, impression and cementation procedure
– The type of crown (material). Full gold crowns when done correctly last the longest
– The Technician (lab). The quality and fit of the crown. Their experience and expertise
– How well you look after it
– The forces you place on it
So a successful crown relies on the correct diagnosis, quality treatment from the dentist, and you with your aftercare.
CARING FOR YOUR TEETH AFTER A CROWN
To prevent damage to your crown there are a few things you can do:
– Brush twice daily and floss once a day to remove plaque (the sticky film of bacteria, which builds up on the teeth0
– Avoid chewing or biting hard foods and objects
– Regular dental check ups with your dentist